Our Plastic Free culture
YMCA Plymouth is a local education, health and families charity, helping young people and our community to belong, contribute and thrive.
The charity is taking a number of important steps in its commitment to becoming plastic free, including:
- Replacing existing plastic straws – moving to paper straws
- Replacing plastic cups with paper cups for hot drinks
- Removing plastic spoons – replacing with wooden stirrers
- Using metal / wooden cutlery throughout the business (i.e. knives, forks etc) to replace large quantities of single-use plastic cutlery
- Using paper bags as opposed to plastic (currently the charity uses a lot of bags to deliver food to its new soft play area)
- Committing to paper / ceramic plates, as the team currently uses a lot of plastic plates for parties
- Utilising bio paper tubs, replacing existing plastic ones for salads bowls
- Installation of a mains-supplied water fountain to encourage refills
About our charity
YMCA Plymouth is an independent education, health and families charity, serving young people and the community, and is affiliated to the federation of YMCAs in England & Wales.
The team is guided by a friendly and personable approach where all people can belong, contribute and thrive.
Their services are primarily delivered across two sites; the main centre on Honicknowle Lane, Plymouth, and a satellite facility at Torpoint & Rame Community Sports Centre.